Food Allergies Information
Creating a safe environment for all
There are some students throughout St. Francis with severe food allergies. The eight most common food allergens are:
- Tree nuts (e.g. Almonds, walnuts, cashews)
Due to the severity of these allergies and the increase in food allergies among school-age children, we ask for each parent’s cooperation and support of the school community to ensure the safety of our students. Based upon the severity of nut allergies in particular, no foods containing any nuts will be offered at the school’s hot lunch program. If there is a severe allergy to another product, (e.g. Milk, eggs etc.) the class will be notified by the school, principal or the teacher and informed of proper guidelines. Parents
Below is an outline of how each parent and student can do his/her part:
- Students will be asked to wash their hands after eating a snack and after eating lunch, which will cut down on both potential allergens and germs entering the classrooms.
- Students may not share food with each other.
- Students should wash their hands before coming to school especially if they eat breakfast containing nuts of any variety, or if they have any residue from breakfast on their hands from other allergens (e.g., butter, cheese, eggs, etc.)
- Parents must notify the school office and teacher of any food allergy.
Celebrating Birthdays & School Club Celebrations
In the interest of promoting good nutrition, as well as maintaining a safe campus for all students, NO food items may be brought on campus for birthday or club celebrations. Should a student wish to share his/her special day with classmates, he/she may do so in non-food related ways with items such as: scented pencils, balloons, stickers, bookmarks, a storybook donation to the classroom, a teacher-approved art project, small party favor toys, etc.
The classes will celebrate Halloween and Valentine’s Day with a class party. Room parents organize these class parties. Room parents will collaborate with the home room teacher to determine details/protocol for the class parties.