Highlights of Second Grade:
- First Holy Communion
About Mrs. Raaka
Mrs. Raaka is a graduate of the University of California, San Diego and is currently pursuing her Master’s Degree in Education at the University of San Francisco. She has served as a member of the adjunct computer science teaching faculty at Santa Rosa Rosa Junior College and has worked as a long-term substitute at St. Francis Solano and other valley schools. Mrs. Raaka taught an “Introduction to Coding” class to sixth-graders at St. Francis, and she has been our Summer School Robotics instructor for the past several years.
She is a practicing Catholic dedicated to this parish. She volunteers as webmaster for Saint Francis Solano Church and The Church Mouse. She has served as a St. Francis parent volunteer, room parent, hot lunch coordinator, and art docent, as well as Parents Club President.
Mrs. Raaka grew up in San Francisco and has lived in Sonoma with her husband, Scott for 20 years. Their daughter, Lily is a graduate of St. Francis Solano and Sonoma Valley High School and is currently attending Stanford University. Their son, Carson is currently a junior at Oak Hill School in Marin. In her spare time, Mrs. Raaka loves to cook, read, exercise, listen to Kpop and yell out the answers during Jeopardy.
Email Mrs. Raaka: email@example.com
Second Grade Daily Warm-Up & Agenda
Each morning students complete a warm-up activity. These activities include reviews for religion, math, language arts, science or social studies. Daily agenda meetings are designed to promote classroom community. This is a time where we review the day’s agenda, special events and celebrate birthdays.
Our focus in second grade is to increase reading fluency, build comprehension and analysis, grow speaking and listening skills, and expand writing abilities.
- Small groups based on reading level
- Teacher read-aloud
- Silent reading
- Learning and practicing the writing process: brainstorming, rough draft, editing, final copy and sharing.
- Writing narrative, informational and persuasive compositions
- Rebecca Sitton’s Spelling Program
*achieve spelling success
*provide on-going instruction
*practice basic skills
*target individual spelling needs
- Classroom “Word Wall”
Second graders study single, double and triple addition and subtraction, expand place value concepts, identify the value of coins, use measurement in standard and nonstandard units, and review fractions. We employ whole and small group instruction, manipulatives, iPad apps for computational skills and individualized instruction.
Math curriculum includes:
- Extending an understanding of place value (within 1,000)
- Building fluency in addition and subtraction (within 100)
- Measuring the length of objects by using appropriate tools
- Identifying shapes and their attributes
Second grade science emphasizes reading and comprehending informational text, writing informative and explanatory reports and creating science projects.
Science curriculum includes:
- Physical Science – the study of motion and force (STEM activities)
- Life Science – the study of plants and animals
- Earth Science – the study of the composition, processes and materials of the Earth’s crust
- Wildlife Defender Program
- Mystery Science Activities
- Science Studies Weekly
- Field Trips
Second grade social studies emphasizes reading and comprehending informational text, writing informative and explanatory reports and creating projects.
Social Studies curriculum includes:
- Develop a beginning sense of history through the study of family
- Use maps frequently
- Learn about government institutions
- Develop an appreciation for the many people who work to supply our needs
- Be introduced to people who have contributed to our society
Second grade religion is designed for students to understand and live their Catholic faith according to their age and readiness. It is important that each student develops a relationship with God, learns to praise God and experience God through prayer. Each student’s faith development needs to be nurtured within the family and at school. This combination ensures the spiritual growth of each child.
Students participate in integrated art projects, drama activities and visual arts throughout the year.