Food Allergies Information and Safe Foods List
Creating a safe environment for all
There are some students throughout St. Francis with severe food allergies. The eight most common food allergens are:
- tree nuts (e.g. Almonds, walnuts, cashews)
Due to the severity of these allergies and the increase in food allergies among school-age children, we ask for each parent’s cooperation and support of the school community to ensure the safety of our students. Based upon the severity of nut allergies in particular, no foods containing any nuts will be offered at the school’s hot lunch program. If there is a severe allergy to another product, (e.g. Milk, eggs etc.) the class will be notified by the school, principal or the teacher and informed of proper guidelines.
Below is an outline of how each parent and student can do his/her part:
- Students will be asked to wash their hands after eating a snack and after eating lunch, which will cut down on both potential allergens and germs entering the classrooms.
- Students should not share food with each other.
- Students should wash their hands before coming to school especially if they eat breakfast containing nuts of any variety, or if they have any residue from breakfast on their hands from other allergens (e.g., butter, cheese, eggs, etc.)
Celebrating Birthdays & School Club Celebrations
In the interest of promoting good nutrition, as well as maintaining a safe campus for all students, NO food items may be brought on campus for birthday or club celebrations. Should a student wish to share his/her special day with classmates, he/she may do so in non-food related ways with items such as: scented pencils, balloons, stickers, bookmarks, teacher-approved iPad app for the classroom, a storybook donation to the classroom, a teacher-approved art project, small party favor toys, etc.
The classes will celebrate Halloween and Valentine’s Day with a class party. Room parents organize these class parties and any food for these parties must come from the Safe Foods list below.
Ideas for Safe Treats
Please pay attention to specific brands. Similar products under a different brand name may not be processed safely.
- Popsicles – Dreyers Fruit (Safeway and Whole Foods), Phillyswirl, Otterpops, Tofutti Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Cookies – Divvies, Back to Nature (many flavors), Enjoy Life (also a variety of flavors – available at Whole Foods), Lucy’s (Sonoma Market), Biscos sugar wafer cookies by Nabisco (Safeway), Oreo brand cookies (not peanut flavor, fudge cream or cakester).
- Candy – Enjoy Life chocolate bars, chocolate chips, Red Vines, Dum Dum lollypops, Starburst jellybeans, Skittles, Bob’s Candy Canes
- Combo ideas— Chex cereal, Rold Gold pretzel, Kraft marshmallow, chocolate chips or Rold Gold pretzels, Orville pop corn, kettle or slightly salted natural, Enjoy Life chocolate chips.
- Drinks—Capri Suns, Minute Maid, Tree Top, Honest Kids, Juicy Juice, Kerns, Gatorade
More Safe Foods
- Cereals- Cheerios (not honey-nut variety), Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Rice Chex
- Minute Maid Graham Crackers
- Minute Maid Graham Cracker Sticks
- Nabisco Teddy Grahams
- Nabisco Justice League Graham Sticks
- Ritz Dino Crackers (Plain No Peanut)
- Ritz Crackers (Plain No Peanut)
- Nabisco Wheat Thins
- Rold Gold Pretzels
- Back to Nature Crackers (Safeway, Whole Foods)
- Back to Nature Graham Sticks (Safeway, Whole Foods)
- Enjoy Life Granola Bars (Sonoma Market, Whole Foods, Raley’s)
- Enjoy Life No Nuts Trail Mix (Mountain Mambo Nut free Trail Mix Raley’s)
- Enjoy Life Cookies (Whole Foods, Sonoma Market)
- Sonoma Crisp Apple Stick (Sonoma Market, Lucky’s)
- Just Tomatoes Dehydrated Fruit (Nice No Preservatives or Additives)
- Lay’s potato chips, Frito Lay
- Sun Chips Frito Lay
- Ruffles Frito Lay
- Frito Lay Corn Chips
- Terra Chips
- Saltines by Sunshine
- Sunbutter (Whole Foods)
- Sunflower Seed Butter (Trader Joes)
- Fruit Leathers (Safeway, Sonoma Market and Whole Foods)
- Pop Chips (Safeway, Whole Foods)
- Fresh Fruit
- Popcorn, Kettle Corn, Smart Pop by Orville Redenbacher’s
- Breads- Alvarado St. Whole Wheat (Safeway, and Whole Foods)
- San Luis Sourdough sliced bread (Safeway, Sonoma Market)
- Stacy’s Bagel Chips Simply Naked (Safeway, Whole Foods)
- Stacy’s Pita Chips Simply Naked (Safeway, Whole Foods)
- Eating Right Sea Salt Soy Crisps (Safeway)
- Fruit A Bu Fruit roll ups (Whole Foods)