Highlights of Second Grade:
- First Holy Communion
- Spring Lake Field Trip
About Mrs. Phillips
Mrs. Phillips has been part of the St. Francis Solano School community since 2001. Prior to St. Francis Solano School, Mrs. Phillips taught grades one through six throughout Sonoma Valley which included Flowery Elementary School, Altimira Middle School and was lead teacher at Sonoma Charter School. Mrs. Phillips earned her Bachelor of Arts degree in International Relations from San Francisco State University. Additionally, she holds a Multiple Subject Credential, a Social Science Credential and a CLAD Credential.
Email Mrs. Phillips at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Second Grade Daily Warm-Up & Agenda
Each morning students complete a warm-up activity. These activities include reviews for religion, math, language arts, science or social studies. Daily agenda meetings are designed to promote classroom community. This is a time where we review the day’s agenda, special events and celebrate birthdays.
Our focus in second grade is to increase reading fluency, build comprehension and analysis, grow speaking and listening skills, and expand writing abilities.
- Small groups based on reading level
- Teacher Read Aloud
- Silent Reading
- Raz-Kids: (an interactive reading app)
- Writing Workshop:
- Learning and practicing the writing process: brainstorming, rough draft, editing, final copy and sharing.
- Writing narrative, informational and persuasive compositions
- Portfolio based
- Rebecca Sitton’s Spelling Program
*achieve spelling success
*provide on-going instruction
*practice basic skills
*target individual spelling needs
- Spelling journals
- Classroom “Word Wall”
Second graders study single, double and triple addition and subtraction, expand place value concepts, identify the value of coins, use measurement in standard and nonstandard units, and review fractions. We employ whole and small group instruction, manipulatives, iPad apps for computational skills and individualized instruction.
Math curriculum includes:
- Extending an understanding of place value (within 1,000)
- Building fluency in addition and subtraction (within 100)
- Measuring the length of objects by using appropriate tools
- Identifying shapes and their attributes
Second grade science emphasizes reading and comprehending informational text, writing informative and explanatory reports and creating science projects.
Science curriculum includes:
- Physical Science – the study of motion and force (STEM activities)
- Life Science – the study of plants and animals
- Earth Science – the study of the composition, processes and materials of the Earth’s crust
- Wildlife Defender Program
- Mystery Science Activities
- Science Studies Weekly
- Field Trips
Second grade social studies emphasizes reading and comprehending informational text, writing informative and explanatory reports and creating projects.
Social Studies curriculum includes:
- Develop a beginning sense of history through the study of family
- Use maps frequently
- Learn about government institutions
- Develop an appreciation for the many people who work to supply our needs
- Be introduced to people who have contributed to our society
Second grade religion is designed for students to understand and live their Catholic faith according to their age and readiness. It is important that each student develops a relationship with God, learns to praise God and experience God through prayer. Each student’s faith development needs to be nurtured within the family and at school. This combination ensures the spiritual growth of each child.
Students have a 40 minute formal technology class each week. Additionally, iPads will be used within the classroom for all subject areas.
Students have a 40 minute Spanish class each week with Senor Ligotti.
Music (Mondays and Thursdays)
Students have two 40 minute Music classes each week.
P.E. (Mondays and Wednesdays)
Students have two 40 minute P.E. classes each week.
Students participate in integrated art projects, drama activities and visual arts throughout the year.
Read the class NEWSLETTER here.